Texture Play and Layering: It's Spring and I'm Cold
It's Spring and I'm cold. Something's not right. Yes, the flowers are booming. Yes, the birds are singing. Then there's me right there freezing to death with this spring weather madness. Worst part? I live in Texas. What's going on up North? I really don't wanna know.
I've been waiting eagerly for warmth to come. As that first day of Spring hits, I'm like a little child who found her long lost baby doll. The beauty of nature blooming again excites me. And the thought of being able to enjoy the sun, the flowers, and dressing in whatever I want again is simply electrifying for me.
Everything comes to an end when I woke up, checked the forecast and it says 35F and 70% of rain.
What to wear today?
Embracing the spirit of spring, at the same time staying warm and not look like a wrapped-up-marshmallow has to be the hardest thing to do. So what do you do? Answer: Layer it up with different textures.
Layering obviously keeps you super warm all the while looking chic and casual. Playing with different textures keeps the outfit interesting and helps you to not look like a wrapped-up-cocoon in the middle of this beautiful spring time. The key is to link all the things you wear with a common color. Here, it's black for me. The black tweed on this J.Crew shirt
sees a commonality with the details on the necklace and the black suede
jacket and black leather pants. I rarely wear pink. The color makes me
feel like Dede in Dexter's Laboratory
(no offense whatsoever to the show, I love it). It's just not me. So
when I do decided to wear pink (because I absolutely love this shirt), I
balance the pinkness on me out with black. I can't really see it, but to add another layer of warmth, I layered a simple sweater under my outer jacket. The red of sweater goes with the burgundy of the bag. For under layers like this, you can also go with muted colors like black, grey, or white. Lastly, these Cole Haan
waterproof suede boots are the bomb. With the Nike sole, they are comfy,
functional ( as a rain boot and a walk-around boot), versatile and chic at the same- unbeatable to say the least.
So what do you think? How would you try out your version of layering different textures?
_________________________________________
Outfit
- Tweed-Front Tee from J.Crew (on sale here)
- Varsity sweater from Forever 21
- Suede jacket from Tahari (seen here)
- Leather leggings from Zara
- Waterproof suede boots from Cole Haan
- Celine Trapeze bag in Granite
- Geometric necklace from Nordstrom



0 comments